Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Prepping for Surgery

I am feeling down -- shoulder surgery will occur on Thursday.  Because the pain I have now, I can't do very much.  the doc says it will take 6 weeks just to get 25% mobility back in my shoulder.  A full year to get to 100% (assuming I get there) many patients never get beyond 90 or 95% back.

So, I am feeling sorry for myself.  Last week I went shopping for clothes that I will be able to wear the rest of the summer.  I went as cheap as I could and got big sizes so the Women's Shelter will be getting a bunch of stuff once I am recovered.  I also cooked some stuff and put it in the freezer so it will be easy for Tom when I am unable to prep meals.

And as for Tom, He will take me to and from surgery and will work from home the rest of Thursday and Friday.  But its almost like I am asking him to do a huge favor.  Physically he will be there but he will continue to be focused on work and then on the weekend he will play tennis and work in the yard.  No change from his schedule.  Okay, I am being harsh but I need sensitivity now, not being ignored.  Geez, considering all I do all the time for him and his diabetes!

And then there are our mothers.  His mother (4 hours away). is 90 and in constant pain, having a difficult time walking.  She was playing tennis 2 years ago and now can't walk at all.  I pity her, of course, but Tom is naturally worried about it -- and then complains when I remind him to call her  because  "I just started this TV show and don't feel like talking now, you should have reminded me earlier."  Yes, that is what he said last night.

On the other hand, my 85-year old mother had not been to a doctor for more than 50 years, yes I said 50!  At Christmas last year she got very sick and went to urgent care.  She was coughing uncontrollably  This started a frustrating series of encounters with the medical profession.  She was given an antibiotic, then followed up with a doctor the next day.  my sister's doc, who my mom likes.  She was given antibiotic and on and on -- she developed a rash over her entire body and saw a dermatologist who gave her different meds.  then a pulmonologist who gave her different drugs again.  Last week her coughing got to the point where she was having trouble breathing.  her primary doc gave her asthma meds and recommended seeing an asthma doc.  but he didn't know any who had not retired.  So I think I found someone who may meet her needs.  we will see.

I know, and I am complaining about a little surgery.  Tom and both of our moms have so much bigger problems!

Just another day in paradise...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never feel sorry for yourself if you are having surgery. It's a procedure that can help you to live the life that you and your family deserve. There are times in life when you do worry about others, but you have to think of yourself as well, and surgery is a major thing to think about and deal with, even for a short time.

Mika Clary @ U.S. HealthWorks Sunnyvale

Post a Comment